She was one of the nicest and easiest authors to interview so far and I absolutely loved all of her answers: most of them made me laugh.
I really hope that you like her answers as well!
Click here to check out her awesome website and contact her as she loves to hear from her readers and is sooooooo nice!
I would like to send my thanks to Cole Gibsen for taking the time to answer my questions. It was such an honor to interview you. Now without further adieu, here is the interview.
1. Why did you start writing? What inspired you to do so?
I grew up in a house with a stepdad who was fond of smashing my self esteem. I always wanted to be a writer, it was what I enjoyed doing, but I never tried because I thought I was too stupid to ever get published. It wasn’t until after I met and married my husband, a man who encouraged me to follow my dreams, that I decided to write my first book.
2. Where did you come up with the idea for the Katana series?
I was actually in a taekwondo class when the idea came to me. I’d just gotten my ass handed to me on a plate by a brown belt. I was nursing a black eye with an icepack when I wondered, What if I was super awesome at martial arts without ever taking a class? That would be sweet. I thought in order for that to be a possibility, I would probably have to be a reincarnated ninja or something. From there the idea for KATANA was born.
3. Why were you so interested in the topic of Samurai’s?
I love martial arts and became very interested in the history of things like aikido and jujitsu early on.
4. What was involved in writing a series like this? Was there research involved for the weapons and fighting styles?
I literally read a stack of books at tall as me on everything from samurai weapons, history, and lifestyle. I even consulted with several martial arts experts and had them help choreograph tricky fight scenes. A video on this can be seen here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NjszcnCZPM
5. Do you know how many books are going to be in the Katana series yet?
Three! The third and final book comes out March, 2014!
6. As your book is about Samurai, have you ever been to Japan, want to go there, or plan to go some time?
I am currently in the midst of planning a trip. It’s been my dream to go, but holy wow is it expensive! Of course, I want to do everything when I get there, from observing a tea ceremony to watching artisans craft katanas. I can’t wait!
7. Do you have any specific ‘rituals’ that you have to do before you can write? I.e. a lit candle, have a packet of mints, special pen, etc.
It’s kind of silly, but I can’t write in absolute silence, and I can’t write with music, either. I either need to write in a coffees shop, or fake one at home with www.coffitivity.com
8. On the weekend what can you be found doing?
Either practicing or competing in dog agility with my Australian Shepherd.
9. What are your top 5 favorite books and movies?
Anything comic related! I adore comic books and comic book movies. I’m really looking forward to the next Avengers and X-Men movie. And I’m obsessed with the new All New X-Men and X-Men comic series.
10. Do you have any pet’s and if so what are they?
Aside from writing, I’ve been a professional dog trainer for over twelve years, so my pack is quite large. *grin* I have Sniper, the moody border collie, Jack the goofy lab, and Tag my athletic, princess Australian shepherd. Ruling over them all is Pickles, my grumpy grey tabby cat.
11. If you were stranded on an island and you could chose five things to be dropped off to you (not including a cell phone, or transportation) and you had shelter and food – what would they be and why?
Hmm….My family, definitely, because they’re super awesome and even bad situations are fun when they’re around. This includes my brother, because someone needs to swim out into the water and see if there are sharks. (Just kidding, Tim!) I also need Krunchers Dill Potato chips because I can’t live without them, an endless stack of books, sun screen because I burn like a mother, and my iPad so I don’t fall too far behind in Candy Crush.
12. If you could meet one author, who would it be and why?
Peter S. Beagle because he wrote THE LAST UNICORN, one of my favorite books as a child, as well as my inspiration for wanting to become an author.
13. What is the weirdest food you have ever eaten?
Okay, I know this is gross, but when I was pregnant I ate Twizzlers dipped in hot wing sauce. Don’t judge. 😉